Pages

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Griswolds go to Great America

The trip started out great. We had a little time with family, loaded up on a good breakfast and we were one of the first family trucksters to arrive at the Six Flags Great America theme park. My husband pointed out our landmark so we'd remember where we parked.  The location of our car seemed like the biggest challenge at the time.


Here we were at America's favorite family fun park and we we're on a quest for fun. There was no Marty Moose and the park was actually open, so far so good.



I have always called this ride "the log ride" but realized it is actually called Logger's Run.  This is the most nostalgic ride in the park for me. It's something you can ride as a kid, still want to ride as a teenager and then appreciate as an adult. 


We got in several big roller coaster rides before lunch. Raging Bull was really scary looking so I decided to go on it right away with the kiddos and get it over with.


I did something not recommended and used my iPhone to capture our experience.  Somehow it just doesn't look as scary as it feels.  Hanging out at the top of a roller coaster for the few moments before you tip over the edge feels like you're just about to go flying into midair. Total weightlessness.  And I made it off the ride, phone still intact. Ian completely loved it and my husband laughed like a crazy man throughout the ride.

We then sauntered out to the car, hungry, and looking forward to lunch. As we're nearing the car, my husband is checking his pockets and checking again. He is not finding the keys.  We peer in through the windows and continue looking back to Mike, hoping he has somehow located the keys deep in a pocket.  He lost the keys.  No car. No lunch. After we check at lost & found to no avail, I say in disbelief, "We're stranded." Owen says, "Well, at least we're at Great America."  He made a good point.

Mike proceeded to make some very long phone calls for help. I spent $40 for a not very tasty lunch. The kiddos and I got absorbed back into Wally World.



Mike ended up in a tow truck and on to a dealership in Gurnee.  His conversation with the towing company went like this:
Mike: I've lost my keys and need a tow from Great America
Towing guy: Did you ride Batman?
Mike: Yes
Towing guy: We love that ride. That's how we get all of our business.

Eventually, we secured another set of keys, piled into the family truckster and headed home whistling Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah.


1 comment:

  1. This was probably more amusing as you posted the experience in your blog than it was that day! Great photos.
    GK

    ReplyDelete